In a narrow sense, the skin barrier is the layer of structure outside the skin.
And if you divide it in detail, the skin barrier is not just a part of the physiological tissue, but has different aspects:
- Physical barrier (close to the narrow skin barrier just mentioned)
- Chemical barrier (secretion of sweat oil, etc., also has protection, antibacterial and other effects),
- Immune barrier (immune function in the skin),
- Microbiological barrier (microbiome on the surface of the skin).
- Acne ≠ barrier damage
There are many causes of acne, but the damage to the barrier is relatively less relevant. If you always have acne, or if it suddenly grows a lot, you still have to go to the hospital to see the dermatology and treat it with medicine. This is beyond the jurisdiction of skin care products.
- A tingling sensation does not necessarily indicate a damaged barrier.
The reason why you feel tingling and fever after using a certain skin care product is probably because some ingredients in the process stimulated certain sensory receptors in the skin, which made you feel this.
Although the skin barrier is incomplete, it will make you more sensitive to some stimuli and more prone to tingling, redness and so on. But this does not mean that you feel a fever with a certain product, that are allergic, or you have sensitive skin, or your barrier is incomplete.
Than how to repair the skin barrier? Don’t worry~
In skin care, repairing the skin barrier mainly starts from two aspects:
- Remove possible incentives
- Choose suitable skin care products
Remove possible incentives
It is relatively easy to remove possible causes ~ We try to avoid things that are likely to cause barrier damage in life, such as:
- (1) Moderate frequency and intensity of cleansing (generally no more than 2 times a day, no excessive force is required)
- (2) Choose mild cleansing products (such as amino acid surface activity and glucoside surface activity)
- (3) Basic moisturizing (especially in dry areas and seasons)
- (4) Don’t put on makeup if the barrier function is not good. You have to make up as lightly as possible and use a gentle makeup remover.
- (5) Pay attention to sun protection.
- (6) Do not exfoliate excessively (most people can do it once every 1-2 weeks)
- (7) Do not excessively pursue high concentration of active ingredients (many active ingredients are more irritating)
- (8) Appropriately reduce some skin care products containing high-irritant skin care ingredients (some kinds of flavors, certain preservatives, etc.)
It does not necessarily cost a lot of money to do this, so it is recommended that everyone prioritize these projects. Besides being inexpensive, these are also more convenient to do. As long as you pay attention to the product selection and gradually develop some habits, it is relatively easy to do it. It is a matter of doing more with less.
How to choose suitable skin care products?
(1) Anti-inflammatory and soothing ingredients
Because of the amount of such ingredients, they are more often added as auxiliary, and they rarely appear as protagonists, but the effect is still quite large. Although it may not be distinguished in detail when it is usually introduced, the principles of different anti-inflammatory and anti-allergy components are not exactly the same.
For example, dipotassium glycyrrhizinate, purslane extract, etc., they have been shown to correspond to a certain pathway / pathway / receptor in the skin, so as to achieve soothing, anti-inflammatory and reduce skin irritation.
(2) Repairing ingredients
Ceramide and squalane are the most typical of them.
Ceramide and squalene are important components of the skin barrier, and they are not low in content. Therefore, these two ingredients are close to the skin structure and are relatively skin-friendly.